Get Expert Guidance For Your Club for only $79. Find Out More


14 Feb 2024

Many sports clubs sell alcohol, either as part of their fundraising strategy or simply as part of the social fabric of the club.

If you sell alcohol, regardless of if it is for only one event or on it is on a regular basis then it is important that your club applies for and receives the appropriate liquor license.

In Tasmania, the Department of Treasury and Finance regulates liquor licence and permit applications.

A liquor licence states where and when you are allowed to serve alcohol. Different licence types are available to suit different businesses or community organisations.

Fees and legal obligations for liquor licences vary, depending on the type of business and licence.

The treasury website can be accessed by going here

Things to consider before applying – sporting and community club

Before applying for a liquor licence, there are a few things you need to consider, including licence requirements.
The licence required will depend on your situation.

Special Permit (club Permit)

A special permit (Club Permit) authorises the sale of liquor on the premises of an incorporated sporting club for a period up to 15 hours per week. It is issued primarily for the social enjoyment of club members.

Additional information can be found here


Under the Liquor Licensing Act 1990 (the Act), licensees are required to display certain signage at their licensed premises.

Information about what signs are required to be displayed click here

Responsible Service of Alcohol

Responsible service of alcohol is one of the most crucial tools in providing consumers with safe, responsible venues that are committed to practicing harm-minimisation techniques.

All persons serving alcohol must have an approved RSA qualification

Responsible Service of Alcohol Register

To demonstrate compliance with RSA training requirements, licensees must now keep records on the licensed premises in the form of a “Responsible Service of Alcohol Register” and produce those records on demand to the Commissioner or an authorised officer.

A copy of a sample register can be found here

Further information

If you require more information about liquor licensing requirements for your club in Tasmania,
Contact the department of treasury by telephone: (03) 6166 4444