Get Expert Guidance For Your Club for only $79. Find Out More


14 Feb 2024

Many sports clubs sell alcohol, either as part of their fundraising strategy or simply as part of the social fabric of the club.

If you sell alcohol, regardless if it’s for one event, or on a regular basis, then it is important that your club applies for and receives the appropriate liquor license.

Once your club has its liquor licence it is vitally important that you comply with the conditions of the licence at all times.

Access Canberra is responsible for issuing liquor licences and permits within the ACT and performs regulatory functions under the Liquor Act 2010 (the Act).

Access Canberra has a comprehensive website that provides all the information clubs need to know about their obligations when serving alcohol in ACT.
The Access Canberra website can be accessed by going here

Things to consider before applying – sporting and community club

Before applying for a liquor licence, there are a few things you need to consider, including licence requirements.

The licence required will depend on your situation. The different types of licences for a sporting or community club are outlined on this page and further information can be found here

Any club that wishes to supply liquor to club members, guests of members or authorised gaming visitors (for clubs with gaming facilities) must obtain a liquor licence.

Club licence

A club licence is provided in the ACT for clubs authorises a club to sell liquor in stated parts of a single premises. It is for members and guest of members.

Forms and fees

Fees are charged when making an application for a liquor licence, and annually thereafter. Application fees are payable when lodging your application.

The time taken to process an application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application and any objections that may be raised.

The relevant forms and fees can be found here

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)

Responsible service of alcohol is one of the most crucial tools in providing consumers with safe, responsible venues that are committed to practicing harm-minimisation techniques.

All persons serving alcohol must have an approved RSA qualification

The ACT government allows RSA certification to be completed online. Further information about the course can be found here

What information must licensees and permit holders need to keep?

There are a number of types of information that licensees and permit holders are required to keep including:

  • An incident register;
  • Responsible service of alcohol certificates for the licensee/permit-holder, employees who supply liquor, and crowd controllers at the premises;
  • Electronic record of liquor sales;
  • Liquor purchase information (off licence holders only); and ,
  • Liquor sales information for the Chief Health Officer (off licensees only).

A comprehensive summary of liquor licensing requirements is contained in the Liquor Practice Manual prepared by the ACT Office of Regulatory Services and can be downloaded here

Further information

Further information about liquor license in the ACT you can contact Access Canberra on:
Mail: GPO Box 158, Canberra City ACT 2601
Phone: (02) 6207 0400 – Access Canberra