Get Expert Guidance For Your Club for only $79. Find Out More


14 Feb 2024

Many sports clubs sell alcohol, either as part of their fundraising strategy or simply as part of the social fabric of the club.  If you sell alcohol, regardless of if it is for only one event or it is on a regular basis, it is important your club holds the appropriate liquor licence.

Once your club has its liquor licence it is vitally important that you comply with the conditions of the licence at all times.

As the name suggests, the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor regulation (VCGLR) oversees liquor licensing in Victoria.  The VCGLR has a comprehensive website that provides all the information clubs need to know about their obligations when serving alcohol in Victoria.

The VCGLR website can be accessed by clicking here.

The Sporting and Community Clubs section of provides all the information a club needs to know when selling alcohol.


Things to consider before applying – sporting and community clubs

Before applying for a liquor licence, there are a few things you need to consider, including licence requirements.

The licence required will depend on your situation. The different types of licences for a sporting or community club are outlined on this page and further information can be found here

Any club that wishes to supply liquor to club members, guests of members or authorised gaming visitors (for clubs with gaming facilities) must obtain a liquor licence.  There are many different types of liquor licences including:

  • A full club licence
  • Restricted licence
  • Renewable limited club licence
  • BYO permit
  • Temporary limited licence


Licence application kits

To assist clubs in making their liquor licensing application, the VCGLR website also has an application kit section to help clubs work out the correct licence for their circumstances.  This application kit can be accessed here


One off events requiring a temporary licence

If your club does not normally sell alcohol or have a liquor licence but decides to sell alcohol at a one-off event then it will need a temporary limited licence.  The VCGLR website has a lot of helpful information, including a factsheet, on temporary liquor licences here


Sharing facilities

Clubs that share facilities such as clubrooms, function areas and sporting fields may be interested in considering the different club sharing options available to them. For more information, check out the following link


Liquor licence application fees and timing

Fees are charged when making an application for a liquor licence, and annually thereafter as provided for under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998. 

Application fees are payable when lodging your application. Increases to renewal fees take effect each year when payable by 31 December.

The time taken to process an application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application and any objections which may be raised.

Further information about fees can be gained by going here


Liquor Licence Signage

Under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (the Act), licensees are required to display certain signage (also referred to as posters) around their licensed premises.

Liquor Licensing Fact Sheet Required signage for licensed premises can be downloaded here


Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)

Face-to-face RSA training is mandatory for licensees and staff selling, offering or serving liquor for general, on-premises, late night and packaged liquor licences.

Completing an approved Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) program gives participants the skills and knowledge to contribute to a safe and enjoyable environment in licensed premises.

Holders of an RSA certification have to complete an online refresher course  every three years.  The course can be accessed from the VCGLR website by going here


Clubs must keep an RSA register

All licensees subject to the RSA training requirements will need to maintain an up to date RSA register which records the following information:

  • the name of the licensee and all serving staff
  • a copy of their most recent RSA certificate
  • the date on which each person first sold, offered for sale or served liquor on the licensed premises

An RSA register template can be accessed from the VCGLR website by going here


Further information

If you require more information about Victorian liquor licensing requirements for your club contact VCGLR on:

Telephone: 1300 182 457