Local Sporting Champions
Grants - Open grants, National Grants
Please note: Due to COVID-19, all applications have been indefinitely suspended until further notice.
The Local Sporting Champions program provides financial assistance for coaches, officials and competitors aged 12-18 participating in state, national or international championships.
If successful, applicants will receive $500-$750 towards the cost of attending their championships
- Base Grant: $500
- Applicants travelling 800km – 2000km to their nominated championships: + $100
- Applicants travelling internationally or greater than 2000km to their nominated championships: + $200
- Applicants residing in a rural electorate: + $50
Applicants must meet the following criteria
- Be turning 12 to 18 years of age in the same calendar year as the nominated championships.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent resident status, residing in Australia.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, or match official in:
- an official state championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised national sporting organisation (NSO) or a School Sport Australia member body; or
- an official national championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised NSO or School Sport Australia; or
- an international competition as a member of an official Australian team, endorsed by a Sport Australia recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- Those attending a state championships must be living more than 125km from the championships venue, and travelling greater than 250km return to participate in the nominated championships*.
- Must complete and submit the application prior to the nominated championships commencing**
- May receive a maximum of two grants in the same allocation year (1 March – 28/29 February) for attending either:
- one state or national championships and one international competition; or
- two different international competitions.
- Must incur out-of-pocket expenses equal to, or greater than, the grant amount they are eligible to receive.
* Those attending a national or international competition do not need to be travelling a minimum distance to be eligible.
**Saved applications must be completed and submitted prior to the championships commencing.
Along with meeting the eligibility criteria, to receive a grant applicants must abide by the program Terms and Conditions.
Get ready to Apply
Before you apply, remember you will have to know:
- details of your selection for the championship you are going to
- details of your parent/guardian’s details, and
- details of a bank account to pay the money into.
You’ll also have to write a paragraph or two about why you are applying- to explain to us how committed you are to your sport why this competition is important to you.
You can save the application from step 6 and return to it later, but you need to finish and submit it before your competition starts. Learn how to save and and retrieve a saved application.
Australia’s Top 20 Sports and Physical Activities Revealed!
Walking is Australia's most popular physical activity! Sport Australia has released the latest annual data from its AusPlay survey, Australia’s largest and most comprehensive sport and physical activity survey, launched in...
By Joe Novella
New Volunteer Toolkits to Make Your Life Easier!
Sports Community is extremely excited to announce our new Volunteer Toolkits! If you’re on the committee, a club President, Treasurer or Secretary, coordinate fundraising, social media or grant applications, we...
By Joe Novella
INTRODUCING: Bottles Plus!
Bottles Plus are bringing flair to sports drink bottles. Specialising in custom printing allows customers to proudly display their logo or meet their corporate requirements. Offering a wide range of...
By Steve Pallas
SOLID is lighting up opportunity
SOLID Display Systems have created a solution for local sporting clubs to attract sponsorship opportunities through their scoreboards. Sponsorships are no longer seen as a goodwill gesture, but an opportunity to...
By Steve Pallas