Bar and Canteen
Sports clubs engage the community at many levels, providing opportunities for children and adults to exercise, develop new skills, and to compete and socialise with others in their community. The leadership strength of sports clubs allows them to reinforce healthy and respectful attitudes, social norms and behaviours. A bar and canteen is a vital role in any club. It sets the tone and cultivates an atmosphere.
A sporting club’s canteen and bar is usually one of the strongest fundraising instruments they have. For entire seasons the canteen brings in a strong flow of funds each and every game day.
Taking the time to plan even the simplest of tasks will ensure your canteen and bar run smoothly
At the start of the year your canteen and bar manager should:
- Decide on the core products they are going to sell during the year
- The prices for those products
- Create a running sheet for the days of operation identifying what tasks to do and when
- A canteen/bar roster. Identifying how many people the canteen needs, what they need to do and at what time
- Undertake a stocktake of equipment to ensure everything is in order
The canteen and bar manager should ensure that they work with the committee and treasurer to the goals of the club are achieved and that all financial reporting is accurate.
Tips for a successful bar and canteen
- Always use strong cash management techniques to protect the club assets and volunteers
- Use position descriptions to help your bar manager and canteen co-ordinator achieve their club goals
- Regularly conduct checks on stock and equipment to make volunteer’s jobs easy
- Always take the time to train and induct volunteers properly
- Follow the food safety requirements of your local and state governments closely