Child protection

Child protection

Western Australia

Western Australia Working with Children Check

The WWC Check is a compulsory screening strategy in Western Australia and the Christmas and Cocos (Keeling) Islands for people who engage in certain paid or unpaid work with children, described as “child-related work” under the Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004.

Working with children check – general information

The Government of Western Australia has created an easy to use website which provides important information for organisations and clubs who provide activities for children.

The Western Australian Working with Children Check information can be accessed by clicking here

What does it mean for sports clubs?

If you are a sports clubs who offers junior sports options, if you undertake paid work or volunteer in junior or disability sports in the WA, the Western Australian Government have identified how working with vulnerable children will relate to you or your sports club.

Head to their webpage to find out more.

The Western Australian Government has also developed a pamphlet to assist clubs to understand their obligations

Who needs a working with Children Check?

A WWC Check is required by a person if they engage in certain paid or unpaid work with children, described as ‘child-related work’ under the WWC Act.

Work is child-related work if the usual duties of the work involve, or are likely to involve, contact with a child.

How do I Apply for a Working with Children Check?

To apply for a working with children check registration card follow these two easy steps.

  • Complete an application for working with children check registration

WWC Check application forms are only available from authorised Australia Post outlets or you can contact the WWC Screening Unit; this is because each form has a unique identifier. WWC Check application forms are NOT available online for download.

  • Once completed you lodge your application form at an authorised Australia Post outlet.

To lodge your application, you will need to present the required identity documents, pay the required fee and have your photo taken. You will be issued with a receipt and this allows you to continue or start your child-related work.

Further information

If you need more information about ensuring your club meets its WWCC obligations contact
Telephone: (08) 6217 8100
WA Country callers: 1800 883 979
Fax: (08) 9221 6345
Postal address: PO Box 1262 West Perth WA 6872