Northern Territory

Many sports clubs sell alcohol, either as part of their fundraising strategy or simply as part of the social fabric of the club.  If you sell alcohol, regardless of if it is for only one event or on it is on a regular basis then it is important that your club applies for and receives the appropriate liquor license.

Once your club has its liquor licence it is vitally important that you comply with the conditions of the license at all times.

The Northern Territory have a comprehensive website that provides all the information clubs need to know about their obligations when serving alcohol in NT.

The NT website can be accessed by heading here


Things to consider before applying – sporting and community club

Before applying for a liquor licence, there are a few things you need to consider, including licence requirements.

The licence required will depend on your situation. The different types of licences for a sporting or community club are outlined on this page and further information can be found here

Any club that wishes to supply liquor to club members, guests of members or authorised gaming visitors (for clubs with gaming facilities) must obtain a liquor licence.  

Often sports clubs will apply for a Continuing special liquor licence.  More information on this type of liquor licence is available here


Responsible service of Alcohol

RSA training is mandatory for licensees and staff selling, offering or serving liquor for
general, on-premises, late night and packaged liquor licences. Any person involved in the service of alcohol in the Northern Territory must have a responsible service of alcohol (RSA) certificate.

Completing an approved Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) program gives participants the skills and knowledge to contribute to a safe and enjoyable environment in licensed premises.

The Northern Territory Government recognises RSA certificates issued by all accredited Australian training providers.


Further information

If you require more information about the NT liquor Licensing requirements for your club contact the NT government switch board on:

(08) 8999 5511.