New South Wales

Many sports clubs sell alcohol, either as part of their fundraising strategy or simply as part of the social fabric of the club.  If you sell alcohol, regardless of if it is for only one event or on it is on a regular basis then it is important that your club applies for and receives the appropriate liquor license.

Once your club has its liquor license it is vitally important that you comply with the conditions of the license at all times.

NSW government the department of industry-liquor and gaming have a comprehensive website which provides all the information clubs need to know about their obligations when serving alcohol in NSW

The website can be accessed by clicking here

The Sporting and Community Club section provides all the information a club needs to know when selling alcohol.


Things to consider before applying – Clubs

Before applying for a liquor licence, there are a few things you need to consider, including licence requirements.

The licence required will depend on your situation. The different types of licences for a sporting or community club are outlined on this page and further information can be found here

Any club that wishes to supply liquor to club members, guests of members or authorised gaming visitors (for clubs with gaming facilities) must obtain a liquor licence.


Liquor licence application kits

To assist clubs in making their liquor licensing application the NSW Licence and Gaming website also has an application kit section to help clubs work out the correct licence for their circumstances.  This application kit can be accessed here

Types of licences

Club licence

This licence allows a club to sell alcohol to its members and their guests for consumption on and off the premises.


Limited licence – special event or trade fair

If your club does not normally sell alcohol or have a liquor license but decides to sell alcohol at a one off event, then it will need a Limited license.  This licence allows an organisation to sell alcohol to the public:

  • for consumption at a special event of an infrequent or temporary nature that would have a beneficial social or economic impact at a regional, state or national level
  • for consumption at a trade fair or exhibition at which organisations and businesses in a specific industry can showcase and demonstrate their products and services. This licence also allows takeaway liquor to be sold to the public.

For more details, click here


Liquor licence application fees and timing

A club liquor licence application costs $500. While a limited licence – Special event costs $150

You also pay an annual liquor licence fee plus any applicable loading based on your venue’s trading hours.

Read more about NSW’s annual liquor licence fee.


Liquor Licence Signage

Registered clubs are required to display signs about the guest member register and the Registered Clubs Act 1976 (in addition to other signs required in all licenced venues).

Information about what types of signs clubs are required to sign can be found here


Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)

You must complete the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training course if you sell or supply alcohol in NSW. Completing an approved Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) program gives participants the skills and knowledge to contribute to a safe and enjoyable environment in licensed premises.

This includes:

  •        club secretaries
  •        club directors (if they serve alcohol)
  •        licensees
  •        managers
  •        service staff
  •        RSA marshals
  •        security staff.

​​RSA training also applies to:​

  •        promotional staff
  •        volunteers.

RSA competency card, which is valid for five years from the first course completion date in any competency.

You can complete the first-time course in a classroom​ or online through a Registered Training Organisations (RTO). 

Holders of an RSA competency card have to complete an online refresher every 5 years.  Further information can be found here


Clubs must keep an RSA register

All licensees subject to the RSA training requirements will need to maintain an up to date RSA register that records the following information:

  • the name of the licensee and all serving staff
  • a copy of their most recent RSA certificate
  • the date on which each person first sold, offered for sale or served liquor on the licensed premises

Further information about the information clubs must keep can be found in the fact sheet provided by the NSW government


Further information

If you require more information about the NSW Government Liquor and Gaming requirements for your club, contact them on


1300 024 720 (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm)