Liquor Licensing

The majority of information clubs need to be licensed in NT is on the Licensing, Regulation and Alcohol Strategy (LRAS) website where you will find the relevant information, fact sheets and guidelines around a Liquor Licence (see attached).

A summary is provided here:

How does a club set up a licence

A club (incorporated association) must apply to the NT Licensing Commission via an application (full liquor licence) form (see website) and complete the required documentation as listed.

You have four options as a clubs in NT ie. Full Club licence, Restricted Licences, Special Permits (ltd to 15hrs or Continuing Special Liquor Licence up to 30 hours per/week) and Special Liquor Licence (one off event).

  • Full Club licence
  • Restricted Licences
  • Special Permits
  • Special Liquor Licence
  • Continuing special licenses are generally granted by the Licensing Commission to work place “social clubs”, sporting and non-profit associations/organisations.
  • Where the prime purpose of the Applicant is to utilise the licence as a profit making venture, with no specified use of funds for purposes relating to sport, education, community or charity – such Applicants will be required to apply for a Full Licence.
  • Continuing special licence hours must not exceed 30 hours per week in total. If Applicants wish to trade longer hours they will be required to apply for a Full Liquor Licence.
  • An administration fee* must be provided with this application.
  • A completed Authority to Release Criminal History Form must be submitted with this application.
  • Applicants must complete a Responsible Service of Alcohol Course.
  • Applicants must obtain the approval of the owner/controller of the venue, prior to considerations of the application.
  • Applicants are to include full details of proposed dates and times with each application, maximum trading 30 hours per week.
  • The applicant is required to provide all relevant information before a licence can be considered for approval.
  • Submit your application to your nearest Territory Business Centre (TBC).

Due diligence to ensure compliance to licensing rules

Liquor Act

Attached here is a blank “club” liquor licence. Note that the majority of conditions attached to the above club licence are generic to most liquor licences with the exception of special conditions that may vary depending on the individual requirement. NT Club Liq License Req


All staff, who are directly involved in the sale, service or supply of alcohol to the public or the supervision of these activities, are required to hold or obtain a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Certificate within one (1) month from commencement of employment and the RSA must be obtained from an accredited service provider within Australia.

Clubs can familarise themselves with the code of practice for RSA via this link: NT RSA


Leave a Comment